Thursday, December 10, 2009

Holiday View on the Embarcadero, San Francisco

This shot has been on my list for some time, but I've been waiting for the holiday lights on the Embarcadero.

I got here a little later than I wanted to because I got distracted by the beautiful alpenglow sunset reflecting on the bay. By the time I walked over to Pier 7, it was nearly dark. I'd like to try this shot again this season when there are some clouds in the sky.

I wanted to use a small aperture for the starring effect on the lamps, but found that most of my shots had weird flares (like the one in this shot), no matter what lens I used. Anyone know why that is? I haven't run into this before.

Canon 5D, Canon 24-70L, f/16 @ 80s, ISO 50. No filters.

1 comment:

Cedric Sims Photography said...

Hi Della, its look like lens flare to me. The light is coming in hitting your sensor causing this. I have a shot I took from there last year and I also had some flaring but I cloned most of it out.
http://www.pbase.com/cdsims/image/106737066