Sunday, April 18, 2010

Night Falls Over Marin

The end of last night's brief, but beautiful sunset.

I actually shot this image "blind". In the middle of shooting this sunset, I looked through the viewfinder and saw an off-kilter view. I took off the lens and looked inside and the mirror in my 5D had come loose! I took it out so that it wouldn't damage the inside of the camera, but then of course I couldn't see through the viewfinder. Supremely frustrating, especially in the middle of a gorgeous sunset.

I Googled the mirror issue and learned that it's a fortunate/unfortunate kind of situation. Unfortunate because it's a pretty common problem with the 5D, but fortunate because it's such a common problem that Canon will fix it free of charge.

The only problem is that I have to send the camera in for a couple of weeks... bummer.

I've been waiting to buy the 5D Mark II for way too long, so this may finally push me into buying it. Ironically (or appropriately?) I filed my taxes yesterday and my refund is almost exactly the cost of a Mark II. Hmmm, what to do??

Canon 5D (without mirror!), Canon 100-400L, f/5 @ 1/40s, ISO 160.

To see more, visit:
www.dellahuffphotography.com
www.flickr.com/photos/dellahuff/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I would at least have Canon fix your 5D for free. Perhaps that could get you by for a bit longer and I wonder how much longer it will be before Canon updates the 5D Mark II. I haven't heard any rumors yet about any such upgrade but ...

Regardless, I trust you will do something as it would be a crime for you not to have a capable camera in your hands. You are too good of a photographer to let that happen!

Cynthia