Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Towering Moonrise


Towering Moonrise, originally uploaded by Della Huff Photography.

I took my brand spankin' new 5D Mark II for its first test drive this evening, and wow, I'm impressed!

I was afraid that my plans to capture the full moonrise with the Bridge and skyline would be scuttled by this nasty little storm system we have moving through the Bay, but tonight was a night when patience paid off. I waited for an hour past moonrise for the thick clouds to move when they finally cleared enough to see the moon... and it appeared right above the south tower. I quickly nabbed a couple of shots before the clouds obscured the moon again. The weird ghosting is because a cloud passed over the moon during the exposure, and the moon moved that much during the 25-second exposure. It's a little weird, but I thought it was interesting.

Anyway, back to the new toy! My favorite thing about it so far is the stunning native resolution and color saturation, which blows the 5D classic out of the water. The huge, sharp LCD is awesome, although it encourages far too much chimping :) The negatives are minor, but they're there: the delete button is where the playback button was on the 5D, so that'll take some getting used to, and hopefully won't involve accidental image deletion. The camera is a little bulkier in my small hands. And the menu system is way too complicated... I preferred the 5D's. I haven't upgraded the firmware, though, so that might be resolved in the new update. I can't wait to put it through its full paces.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 100-400L, f/6.3 @ 25s, ISO 50.

To see more, visit:
www.dellahuffphotography.com
dellahuffphoto.blogspot.com

2 comments:

James Johndrow said...

Awesome, great photo. I have also had that happen with the moon. The freaking thing moves faster than you realize!

Unknown said...

Love this one Della. This is amazing.